Why a Wellness Policy?Childhood Obesity
& Diet Related Illness
- Our School Nutrition Program complies with federal, state and local requirements.
- Our School Nutrition Program is accessible to all children.
- We provide and promote nutrition education.
- We encourage meaningful physical fitness activities for all children.
- All school-based activities are consistent with local wellness policy goals.
- Recommend that all foods and beverages made available on campus (including vending, concessions, a la carte, student stores, parties, and fundraising) during the school day are consistent with the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Insure that all foods made available on campus adhere to food safety and security guidelines.
- Provide a school environment that is safe, comfortable, pleasing, and allows ample time and space for eating meals.
- Insure that food and/or physical activity is not used as a reward or punishment.
- School Nutrition Association
- USDA Food & Nutrition Services
- Centers for Disease Control
- National School Boards Association
- National PTA
- Action for Healthy Kids
- American Dietetic Association
- Food Research and Action Center
- Elementary/Secondary School Principals
- National Association of School Nurses
- USDA Cooperative Extension
- National Dairy Council
- Society for Nutrition Education
- The National Association for Sport and Physical Education
- Council of Chief State School Officers
Student Wellness Policy
Our District has a Student Wellness Policy that is focused on improving the health of students.
Balance is essential for any Wellness Policy. Key areas include:
- Nutrition education
- Physical activity
- Other school-based activities that are designed to promote student wellness
The District's Wellness Committee will encourage input and participation by parents/guardians, students, Student Nutrition Services staff, educators, Board members and other members of the public upon the periodic assessment, review and updates of the Student Wellness Policy.
School Fundraisers and Food Give-Aways
All food and beverages sold or provided to students on school campuses, by any entity, must comply with federal and state laws and our District's Wellness Policy. Here is a link to a guide for food fundraisers and what food and beverages can be offered to students on school campuses.